Peppermint oil is a common ingredient in many beauty and health products worldwide. This is mainly because the oil packs many potent properties and nutrients that the body necessarily needs to remain healthy. The rich and powerful fragrance in Peppermint oil is commonly used in soaps, and in therapy sessions as it helps calm the brain. Peppermint essential oil can be used topically to treat various skin conditions, orally for digestive health, or to relieve muscle burnout. Outlined below are some of the health benefits of peppermint essential oil that you probably didn’t know about.
1. Dental care: Peppermint oil contains antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that play a vital role in dental care. The antimicrobial properties help eliminate as well as prevent bacteria from accumulating in the mouth. This takes care of bad breath, tooth cavities, and also protects gums from infections. Research also shows that peppermint oil can be used to sooth toothaches, thanks to its pain-relieving properties.
2. Indigestion: Many people consider peppermint essential oil as the perfect remedy for indigestion and flatulence. Adding a few drops of peppermint oil in warm water, and drinking it after a meal can help improve digestion, as well as take care of excess gas caused by bloating. Researchers believe that the peppermint oil contains carminative properties that help remove the excess gas. Person’s suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also benefit from this oil as well.
3. Stress reliever: The strong fragrances produced by essential oils have a calming effect on the brain, hence a great stress reliever. Most therapists also love using these scents as it helps their clients/patients relax much better. Cosmetics and soaps with peppermint fragrances are also recommended as they contribute to reducing depression, fatigue and also improve a person’s cognitive functions.
4. Treating Respiratory Problems: Menthol, one of the key compounds in peppermint essential oil is an efficient home remedy for respiratory infections. Anyone with asthma, sinusitis, nasal congestion, cold, or bronchitis can use peppermint oil for fast relief. Menthol also helps sooth inflammation along the respiratory tract which provides quick relief, hence an excellent home remedy for allergic reactions.
5. Improves one’s immunity: With peppermint oil rich in antimicrobial properties, it is the perfect remedy for persons with dwindling health. These antimicrobial properties play a significant role in restoring a person’s immune system. You can also use this oil to get rid of dangerous microorganisms such as salmonella, E.Coli, and staph.
Just like other essential oils, peppermint oil contains potent vitamins and antioxidants that also play a significant role in a person’s body. These antioxidants work by detoxing and eliminating toxins and free radicals from body cells, thus leaving you with a healthy body. This is also one of the reasons why peppermint oil is very popular with skin care products. Although applying the oil directly on your skin gives a tingling sensation, the precious properties penetrate into the skin leaving it smooth, well hydrated, and radiant. Including this essential oil in your cooking can also have a positive effect on your body and health, hence recommended.